Wednesday, April 9, 2008

It's really all rocket science!!

I've had a few of you ask how blogs are done or wonder how I have the time to spend my days doing this. No one would ever believe how easy it is until they try it. I put trying this off for months as my siblings whom I rarely see begged me to start one so they could see my kids grow up. My sister walked me through setting it up in about 20 minutes. After that it was simple. Everything is predone for you...you just pick the background that you like and hit save, at which point you type in any information you want it to say. It lays it all out for you. For those of you who visited my website for the first time yesterday it was probably very overwhelming as there was approximately 1 month of information to read. If you narrow it down you'll see that I usually add some new information a few times a week. Each time I sit down it takes me about 10-15 minutes to type up my new post depending on how lengthy or interesting my topic for the day is. Just like checking my email except most of my communication is done over my blog now so I rarely do that. I love that my kids Grandparents outside the country for 2 years can watch videos of my children and see what they get for their birthdays. I love that my brother on a mission in Australia can get on the computer and see my kids and that I can see videos and pictures of him on his mission that I otherwise wouldn't ever get to see, I love that friends I haven't seen in 10 years have blogs and we can see each others families and how their doing. I don't keep a journal (I know I really should) so this is in an effort to preserve a personal family record. Something that people dont know about blogging is that there are tons of companies on the internet that will print out your blog in a hard bound book. That is my intention with creating this blog is to in some way shape or form preserve some family history. At the end of the year, I will print up a hard bound book of our families eventful moments - replacing my long lost love for scrapbooking. My motto this year is SIMPLIFY. Take out the things in your life that don't make you happy and spend your time with the people you love and those that build you up and make you happy...and forget about the rest. This blog in so many ways has helped me feel like I'm doing something that I've felt guilty about not doing for years...journaling, scrapbooking, organizing my photos, keeping in touch touch with friends and family and writing down and taking pictures of some of the most precious moments from my childrens lives. This has simplified my life so much. In an effort to simplify, my husband and I have built a garden to be self sufficient, I've have learned from others the benefit of preserving food (canning) which I have picked up on and do faithfullly every summer, I've learned to delegate in my 2 callings in the church that require so much of my time, I have dedicated my time to playing with the kids and teaching them some of lives most valuable lessons. I hope as I continue to keep up this blog that you'll enjoy watching our family grow.

4 comments:

Mark and Lachelle said...

I had no idea that you can have someone print off your blog pages and make a book for ya! That's such a great idea! I'm going to have to do that at the end of the year! Do you know what the website of these companies are?

cleggle said...

Love it! This gets better everyday. I like the new layout, and I'm thinking it's time for me to upgrade. Yeah, you have really good babysitters, don't you? Thanks for the props for my kid. Makes me feel good.

Ju said...

Ditto! I have been trying so hard to convince family and friends of how great bogging can be. And what a great family history tool it is. I am working on a book right now... "slurping" the blog in was the easy part, but I'm also doing from when I got married and that is what is taking the longest (wish i had a blog back then!) but as you said, I'm making up for all the lack in scrapbooking since I had my kids! :o) Great post!!

Brian and Mal said...

Hey, I'm with Lachelle. I didn't know you could print your blog off. I'm totally going to.

I have a ? I'm hoping you can help me with. I was trying to change my background the other day, and it looks like if i do, it's going to delete a bunch of my stuff. Did your blog do that when you went to change your background? Help me please!