Saturday, July 19, 2008

July 24th Primary Pioneer Day Celebration & They Mystery Melon???

This morning at 9:50 as I was wiping up the counter from melon that I cut for breakfast, I realized that the kids' primary activity was this morning at 10.

(Now I must side track for just one moment. When I went grocery shopping at Costco the beginning of this week, I wanted to purchase cantalaupe. They sell them in 3 packs because they're costco. Next to the cantalaupes were individual cantelaupes...I was so excited that I didn't have to buy 3. There's no way my family could eat 3 cantalaupe before they went bad. So this morning for breakfast I slice up the gorgeous so called "cantalaupe". To my surprise as I cut into the cantalaupe bright green was the color of the flesh. It looked exactly like honeydew melon inside a cantalaupe skin. I was so disappointed, I hate when I buy fruit and feel like I wasted money because it was no good. It smelt good so I decided to give it a try. The bite was dripping juice and tasted absolutely fabulous. So I turn this thing over trying to figure out what it was and this is what I read "CRENSHAW - This popular melon has a golden pink flesh that is tender and juicy. A squeeze of lime enhances it's flavor". So now our mystery melon is even more of a mystery because it says on the label that it's supposed to be golden pink? What the crap? Whatever it is, it's good and we've eaten half. Hopefully we're still here to talk about it tomorrow. Anyone got any newsflash for me about what this mystery melon is?)

Okay so we showed up a little late because we don't move a whole lot or very quickly before 10 am on Saturdays. I know...I've totally been spoiled over the last couple of years but the tables are going to be turning very quickly in the near future. They had a lot of different little pioneer games and activities planned for the kids to do. It was a lot of fun and effort by the presidency to pull something like that off, they did a great job.


The raw egg toss. Which ended up broken in Austin's shoe after several throws back and forth
The watermelon eating contest...Austin was the only one that didn't cheat by using hands
Making butter by shaking heavy whipping cream in baby food jars


Eating homemade bread with homemade butter on it! YUM!
The Joseph Smith Stick Pull


The gunny sack race The watermelon eating contest

1 comment:

Brian and Mal said...

Ah Rich, what a good, fun daddy you are potato sack racing with your boys.