Tuesday, May 20, 2008

My Garden

This is the most recent picture from this morning. It was raining so the pic is through a window. I am so dang excited this year to accomplish something I've been wanting to do for years. Putting in a garden is something I'm trying to do to hopefully encourage my family to eat healthier and save money also by providing to my family things I would normally buy at the grocery store right out of my garden. My deal with the kids is that their snacks in the day will be from the garden, which means no more gold fish or yogos or graham crackers/cookies etc. during the summer. Our garden came up lickity split and looks gorgeous so far. I'm trying something new called square foot gardening. It has less maintenance and helps you continually keep something in each square foot for each season of the year without having to till, because you never step in the planting area. I've also planted a much larger garden at my adoptive parents home who have acreage to do so. At their home I've planted things that I will actually can. Everything at my house is to have on hand. My garden consists of tomatoes, beans, peas, cucumbers, red potatoes, red, yellow, and orange peppers, walla walla onions, green onions, carrots, winter squash (to have throughout the winter to store and eat) summer squash, zuchinni, lettuce, spinach, radishes and stawberries.














4 comments:

Castiel Moyes said...

I am so jealous! Your garden looks amazing.

Rachel said...

Yummy! That looks awesome. I'm going to be jealous when you get the squash especially.

Gary or Carol said...

I am SO impressed!!! Even if nothing grows (which it will) it is a beautiful piece of art work for your yard.

Janiece said...

Your new garden looks great! It makes me want to try that style. Mine is full of weeds and unplanted - also very wet. Maybe if it quits raining I can get something planted. What zone are you in?