Wednesday, September 10, 2008

2008 Canning Season


Well, it's actually begun. I've been picking strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, apples, peaches, pears, nectarines, carrots, peas, beans, zuchinni, summer squash and coming up on grapes. My canning season has actually begun. Although, my friend has finally forbid me from climbing the orchard ladders. She's such a bossy friend. She thinks that maybe I shouldn't (for some dumb reason! lol) I've given into her request so last week I officially became the "box holder". I taught Rich's boss's wife how to make and can sweet pickles (which she called and said she absoutely loved). So far this year I have made 8 freezer pies, 2 raspberry, 2 strawberry, 2 blackberry, & 2 peach. I have canned 25 quarts of pears, 15 pints of sweet pickles, 12 pints of dilly beans and lots and lots of jam. My peaches will be ready probably next week and I'll be sure to get those done, because that's what we eat the most of. Spaghetti sauce is this week! And grape juice and applesauce proabably next. Rich keeps telling me I'm going to have to start to take it easy but I'm not sure that's going to happen, because last time I checked...I'm the only one around here that would do it, so swollen ankles and all, here we come! Okay so I do have to give my husband a little kudos here. He came home from work at 3:00 the day I was doing pears and I'd only been going for about 30 minutes. He actually helped me until I was finished which was 9:00 pm. He peeled all 50 lbs of pears for me. Bless his stinking little heart. I appreciated that more than he knows.

6 comments:

Gary or Carol said...

For sure you win Homemaker of the Year Award!!!

Brian and Mal said...

Andrea, you are my hero..

Shena said...

girl... i would have never taken you to be such a canning maniac. I would love to do such things. I just don't have the space in this house. I'm so jealous you only have 1 month left. I'm with you though. Who says a pregnant woman must sit on the couch and rest all day? Do what you feel like until you don't feel like it anymore! Good Luck!

Castiel Moyes said...

I don't think I put enough pears in my jars. Yours look like you have a lot of pears in there.

Leah said...

I can't believe all the canning you do! I am really amazed. Looking at your blog makes me feel so guilty. I have no food storage and it is all I have been hearing about lately. You are inspiring. I wish I knew how to can. So good for you, you definately win the Homaker award!!

Mark and Lachelle said...

Hey, I have a great idea...you should send us some of your cans! :) It sounds like you've canned enough to feed the whole salvation army; so I'm sure you can spare a few for us poor college students, right? ;)