Saturday, January 17, 2009

Wild Winter Turns Baptism to Blessing

The weather this winter was something I have never ever witnessed before. In the month of December I caught myself many times standing in front of a window, mouth hanging wide open saying "I can't believe this." I've lived in Utah and always thought it was a bit funny when they cancelled school here over 2 inches of snow. I'm telling you what it's a whole different ball game here when you get rain, then temps for snow, then rain and still freezing weather. It's absolutely unbelievable. They don't have the snow plows to keep up because it rarely happens so everything shuts down. It's sure a sight to see. Jenni drove here with her 3 kids all by herself through the hazardous weather. I was on the phone with her every hour making sure that she was okay. It took alot longer but she made it in plenty of time for the baptism and blessing. My mom flew in on Wednesday to help me get ready for the company I was about to have. Brian and Mallory drove here in a caravan with my Dad, Mary and her girls on Friday getting here very late because the roads we so terrible. We got my Dad's family settled in at a friends 2nd home and got Brian and Mallory all set in the trailer on our RV Pad. Jenni's family stayed inside our house in the boys room and my boys and Jessi slept in Jessi's room. Task accomplished - No one sleeping on airmatresses in my living room. In order to stay sain in such a small home I can't stand to have my living areas in a shamble. Saturday came and we all rushed to get ready to head to the Stake Center. They were worried about being able to get someone there to fill the font but we found someone willing. We made it but had been advised from the Bishop to cut the program and just baptize him and get everyone home. We cancelled all musical numbers and speakers and got to business. As we were waiting for Redden and Rich to get dressed and come out of the dressing room, the councelor in the bishopric said "They've cancelled church for tomorrow Andrea...should we just go ahead with the blessing?". I was willing to go along where I was putting so many people in danger as far as driving is concerned. My friend Megan didn't make it because there weren't enough seats for her whole family in the car that didn't have chains. So her husband and daughter attended. My sister Lindsay couldn't make it up here from Bend because the roads were closed between us. Rich's sister Judi couldn't make it as the roads from the Tri-cities were absolutely scary. Rich's other sister Pam couldn't make the driver either. I made the decision to go ahead with the blessing even though it was a hard one. I had no idea so she was just in regular clothes (no cute white dress because it was hanging in the closet at home - waiting for it's first use). My brother offered to go home and get it many times but I didn't want to keep every one waiting as the weather was getting worse by the minute. They announced that we would be blessing Jessi and Rich had no idea!! I was kind of funny but definately a memory that will be talked about for many years to come. In the end, Redden was baptized and Jessi was blessed on the same day. My Dad and Mary and the girls made it from utah, Jenni , Billy and their 3 kids made it from idaho, My brother and his wife Mallory made it from Utah, the Bangerters were able to dig out from their home and my Mom and Jeff made it there from their hotel in Gresham. We had fabulous lunch afterwords in my home instead of the stake center where it was planned. If you can imagine we had 29 people here eating in my 1700 sq ft home. SCARY! It was fun and everyone seemed to have a good time. These are the only pictures I got from both events given the horrible rush we were in.

2 comments:

Brian and Mal said...

dude, I am bustin a gut looking at that picture of the grandkids... madi and lily have the exact same look on their faces!

Pamela said...

I can't believe Redden is 8 and Baptised. Jack will be this November! Wow, how great.