Wednesday, June 4, 2008

My Self Reliant Masterpiece


Okay not really because some of it is store bought but it was just fun to say. I just wanted to show how proud I was of myself today as I prepared dinner. I thought to myself- Wow, I'm good. I cut spinach and leaf lettuce from my garden this morning, soaked dry black beans and pulled down a jar of my home canned salsa and started preparing our food. This is what we had for dinner. My kids even loved it...although, I don't have picky eaters, thank heavens!

My version of a "Southwestern Chicken Salad".

In layers:

Lettuce/Spinach
Black Beans
Corn
Cubed chedder cheese
Salsa
Ranch
Crushed Tortilla Chips
Southwestern seasoned chicken (optional) this made it super good. It was chicken breasts topped with southwestern seasoning and then baked.

8 comments:

Bill & Jen said...

OOOHHHH, Impressive, You should be proud...that looks yummy. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Mine may not look as good as yours but I'll sure try.

Gary or Carol said...

Okay, Portland is a direct flight from Korea, and we'll be expecting this for dinner our first night back in the USA!!

Anonymous said...

And I actually got to listen on the phone as you thought of this wonderful masterpiece. Looks even better than it sounded.
MOM

Leah said...

I am impressed! That does look really good. What a good homemaker you are. I would love to have a garden but I am not so good at that stuff, plus there is only so much that can grow in Arizona desert! I have a lemon tree, maybe i will make lots of lemonade!

Janiece said...

You're an animal!

Rachel said...

YUM!

Mark and Lachelle said...

Look at you Rachael Ray!! Who needs the food network, when they can have Andrea Turner?! ;)

Lacey said...

The food looks delicious but I have bigger things to ask about. I just scrolled down your sidebar and saw the baby meter. Holy cow! Congrats! Do we know if it's a boy or girl? I am so excited for you.